Monday, March 4, 2013


I was able to work on the strawberry bed again today without being rained on. In fact the sun even came out and I was able to get other stuff done after I finished the strawberry bed.
In the picture above I got the bed leveled out best I could and filled it with composted horse manure and kitchen scraps. This compost had been working for about a year. It took 4 wheel barrow loads to fill it up.

Got it raked around and looking pretty good.

I then added some boron to the mix. Strawberries sometimes need boron, but don't add too much. It doesn't take a lot.

I then added about 2 inches of peat moss and worked it all in together while picking out rock and breaking down the clumps.

The soil is looking pretty good to me.

I then got the strawberry plants planted and the cage put over them for protection.
With this cage I can still water them and they have plenty of room to grow.

I didn't have room in this bed for the new strawberries that I have ordered but I can make another bed for them when they arrive.

You can barely see the strawberry plant in this picture. When they start to grow and get a tad bigger I will mulch them with some straw. This will help to keep the soil moist during the warm days and keep the berries off of the dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment