Friday, January 11, 2013

STARTING THE NEW YEAR OFF

We are now well into the new year and I have been getting ready for the spring planting. I have already started the pruning of the trees and still have quite a bit more to do. I started a list of TO DO things and am already starting to plane for my garden. Last year I just planted stuff in the garden just because I could. This year I am going to concentrate just on the foods that we like to eat and can. I don't have a lot of garden space that gets a lot of sun so I have to be careful as to what I am going to plant, so I have started a new garden journal and am going through all of my garden seeds to pick out what I want to plant. I also found on line a "when to start your seeds" plan and am going to try to stick with this to see if it will help me get on a regular program.
I know that we will still have lots of rain and maybe even snow coming this year but I can get my seeds started in the greenhouse. I need to start moving the compost around to the garden beds that I am going to use and getting them ready for planting. The greenhouse is the biggy for me since we don't get a lot of heat here.
Mostly the cooler weather crops do better here. I can grow some of the longer growing season crops but have to use make shift covers to protect the plants until it does start warming up. This usually works pretty well, although when the wind blows, and it does blow quite hard at times, it will blow the cover off and I fight it every year. I wish I could come up with something that would work better. I am still working on that. I have a few ideas but not enough time to do everything so I will make do with what I have for now, at least until I have a few minutes to spend on my ideas.
I really love gardening and being outside. I would rather dig in the dirt than clean my house. I can't go outside, even in my nice clothes, without getting dirt on me some how. Don laughs at me sometimes because of it. That's OK, he does it too.
We have lots of plans for this year again, seems like we always do but not enough time to do them all. I would really like to start some new raised garden beds with covers on them for growing. I have plans, that my son Jon drew up for me, that I would like to build this year but Don needs to dig down the area that I want to put them.
Well I guess we will do what we can and leave the rest for the next year as usual. I will try to keep you up on the progress as we go this year.
Happy gardening to all. Try it you might like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment