Sunday, May 13, 2012

Spring has Sprung

Well it looks like spring is finally here. I am so glad to have the nicer weather. I am busily getting my gardens in. Don has been spreading the compost out around the yard and trees with the tractor and I have been spreading it with the rake. Hopefully it will help with the fruit production this year. Last year we didn't get much fruit because it rained almost the whole time the fruit trees were in bloom. This year it is nice and warm. We got another temporary bed made and I have some pole peas, gold nugget tomatoes and some zucchini squash planted in it. My corn is about 2 inches tall already and am getting ready to spread some composted horse manure on it. I am also going to use it on my squash, because squash is a heavy feeder. I hope to have most of my garden planted by the end of the week.
I also purchased a couple of new azalea bushes today and need to get them in the ground. I have already picked out the spots I want to put them. We have a whole bunch more trees we need to get planted and also need to get the posts in for the kiwi, which is also going to be our new pergola. We have a lot planned for this year and hope to accomplish most of it before winter hits again.
I picked some rhubarb the other day and juiced it up. It made some wonderful juice and have some of the juice put up to make jelly out of later. I have more rhubarb to pick and use now. Maybe I will make a strawberry/rhubarb pie. Who knows.
Don has been working on the horses paddock this last week. He got several of the tree stumps dug out and still has more to get out, then going to run the ground rake around it and plant it in pasture for the horses. Going to try to get some stuff called Terra One thicker pasture. Hopefully it will help the pasture to grow thicker and faster. It is organic and suppose to work really well.
It seems like every year we get a lot accomplished but the next year rolls around and we have just as much to do if not more. It is never ending for gardeners. I guess that is why gardeners learn so much, they are always experimenting and building and redoing until they get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment