Saturday, April 28, 2012

Sunshine

Wonderful sunshine. I am looking forward to today. We finally have some sunshine. I have been doing some gardening, but with all the rain we have been having it is so wet outside that it is hard to get things done. I did get some stuff done in the greenhouse. I got tomatoes planted, peppers, cucumbers and have sugar peas that are blooming. Can't wait for the first peas, love to eat them fresh. It is like a sweet snack when you are gardening.
I got my corn planted outside just before the last rain, which was a good thing, cause the rain watered it in for me. I then covered the corn with some remay to protect it from the cool nights and the birds that like to steal the seed. Today I hope to get the plastic around the frame where one of the garden beds is. Here on the mountain we don't get a lot of hot weather so I use plastic around a PVC frame in my garden beds to extend the growing season. This is how I can grow vegetables that need a longer season like corn, peppers, tomatoes, etc. Works like a portable greenhouse. I can take it down easily when the weather does start warming up.
Don and I are getting ready to create another temporary garden for this growing season. We do a lot of temporary stuff until we are sure that is where we want it to be. We don't have a lot of room to grow so we create places by putting in raised garden beds all over the place. Besides I hate mowing the lawn and would rather have gardens.
Did you know that lawns are the biggest polluter on our planet. That is because most people think they need to fertilize year round and it doesn't help. It only goes down into the aquifer under ground and pollutes the water. Did you also know that you can fertilize your yard with coffee grounds. Coffee grounds are high in nitrogen and that is what lawns like. So instead of throwing those coffee grounds down the drain, spread them around your yard and flower gardens. You will be surprised how good things will start to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment